Sunday, October 26, 2014

A little about me.

My name is Lena Kats and I'm a Registered Dental Hygienist who is now also Certified in giving Local Anesthesia.
Most of my friends don't quite understand the passion and excitement I have for my profession, but I feel like most dental hygienists are in love with their work. I think we get so much happiness out of what we do, because we get to see that we are the cause of someone's improvement.  

I see dental infection like a ton of splinters  that you cannot remove, and your body is suffering because they are there. And here I come, the Superhero, and I get everything out and teach you how to avoid getting them. And then in 3 months I see you again and you body is so healthy, that all I feel is an enormous amount of happiness and satisfaction. After all - I did that. I helped you get back to health. 

The fun side of my job
I also like to see myself as a Detective and an Assasin. Yes, you read it correctly.
 
We are taught in school to search for clues, to gather data that will help the doctor determine how we can help you. That's a detective's job. That's also my job. 

For example: for those of you who take blood pressure or cholesterol medications, you may not feel any different, but the chemical composition of your saliva changes and that increases your risk for disease, because saliva is your main protector against bacterial invasion. 
That's why I always ask: "Has there been any changes in your medical history?" This is part of my search for clues. If I know what's putting your dental health at risk, I can help you, If I don't, then how can I?

The Assasin part of my job is the most fun part. I get to go after bacteria that have used the best of their abilities to create a favorable environment and cause you the most damage. But don't hate the bacteria. They are just another species that wants to live. 

They want to find a comfortable area for a settlement, which will provide them with a roof over their head and a good food supply and then they start building and building and building. Eventually, they become so well situated and grow to such large numbers that your body no longer feels there could be peace between the two and begins to attack the bacteria. But they are too strong, fast growing and acid producing to such an extent that the body just cannot win. You'll notice redness at the gumline and when you brush, use floss or toothpick you may notice bleeding. That's evidence of your body fighting but losing. 

That's my clue as a detective and that's when my job as an Assasin begins. And I love my job. I get to single-handedly destroy thousands of enemy settlements. It all sounds messy of course, but it's all about the tools and how to use them. And I use them well!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment